The Employers’ Association serves regional employers in their efforts to maximize
performance; providing people management information and research, workplace
wellness, training and consulting expertise.
To be the regional association of choice for employers interested in maximizing their
Human Resources and Organizational Performance.
Supervisory Skills Development
Effective Supervisors Achieve Goals
In today’s environment, supervisors have a critical role in providing leadership, creating a work environment that supports employee performance, and achieving expected goals. The responsibilities of supervisors are varied: they are coaches, good communicators, problem solvers, team facilitators – all important functions in helping their work unit and organization be successful.
To be successful, supervisors and managers need to know the critical leadership behaviors expected of them as well as understand what their employees need in order to be solid performers. They also need to know how to communicate well, build teamwork, resolve differences, and solve problems effectively. EA consultants work with your team to develop training to accomplish these skills and insight into how they can be implemented effectively.
Extensive time will be spent on building leadership practices that can be used immediately in the workplace. All programs are customized to your specific needs!
One or all of these eight essential skills may be emphasized:
- Motivating Others
- Employee Development
- Team Building
- Communicating Effectively
- Resolving Conflict
- Managing Change
- Solving Problems
Use these topics to begin a dialogue about supervisory skills.
Most EA members review the following skills and competencies with their managers and associates to begin to identify skill gaps in their current workforces as well as which topics are priorities for training. They then meet with an EA consultant who will work with them to further determine specific training needs, what behavior is needed at the end of training, and the best way to accomplish the training goals.
- Developing beliefs and expectations
- Understanding the impact of leadership
- Establishing and using leadership goals
- Evaluating leadership effectiveness
- Evaluating current motivational levels
- Knowing employee needs and expectations
- Determining key motivators
- Developing a plan to improve motivation
- Recognizing and rewarding performance outcomes
- Assessing current performance levels
- Designing and implementing development plans
- Conducting performance appraisals
- Coaching and providing feedback to employees
- Understanding team dynamics
- Facilitating team activities and plans
- Helping teams achieve high performance
- Mentoring team members
- Determining communication expectations
- Techniques for creating effective communications
- Understanding the role of nonverbal communication
- Techniques for achieving trust and openness
- Anticipating potential conflict
- Determining causes(s) of conflict
- Developing alternative solutions
- Implementing and gaining acceptance of solutions
- Planning the change process
- Determining change strategies
- Implementing changes
- Evaluating the impact of change
- Recognizing and defining problem situations
- Determining root cause of problems(s)
- Understanding employee reaction to problems
- Identifying barriers and organizational constraints
- Developing steps to solve problems
Call the EA today for a free, no-obligation initial consultation, or: